Wednesday, July 6, 2011

PART II--TEACHING ON PRAYER (THE LORD'S PRAYER, CONT.)

OMG is not a substitute for addressing God in our praying.  In fact, taking the risk of being called legalistic, such use is probably best considered "taking the name of the Lord in vain."

No better way could there be than to emulate Jesus in praying--even as to the address itself, "Father."  Jesus, on earth, was Son of God-sinless and holy. (Hebrews 4:15)  He was also Son of Man-God in the flesh. (John 1:14)  As such, in His praying, Jesus addressed God as Father.  See His prayers, in Gethsemane-Luke 22:42; for His disciples-John 17:1; on the cross-Luke 23:34 and 46.

So, in teaching His disciples to pray, He began the address, "Our Father."  How marvelous that Jesus called God, "Father" and then teaches us to do the same.  "Our Father" --meaning His and mine!

The words that follow "which art in heaven" do not indicate a God that is far off and not approachable.  Those words simply mean that He is our spiritual father.  Jesus told the woman at the well that "God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth." (John 4:24 KJV)

God is approachable.  I do not go through anyone else.  Through Jesus Christ, (i.e. God Himself), I am able to get to the "Head Man Himself."  Forgive my colloquialism, but it doesn't get any better than this!  I pray to God and God alone.

"Hallowed be Thy Name" is a recognition that God is sacred and holy, and, that I am willing and committed to His being sacred and holy.  Help me, Lord, to always be respectful of Who You are and of Your holiness.

OMG is not a part of my vocabulary.  That is not to imply that I am (or think I am) better than anyone else.  It just means that my convictions of the sacredness of God does not include that.

I urge you to pray as Jesus taught us and really mean it when you address Him, "Our Father."


Please add your thoughts and comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment