Tuesday, April 12, 2011

PART II--TEACHING ON PRAYER Relationship Prayers

Jesus was the Master Teacher.  Mind you, not "just a great teacher."  But, rather, He was (and still is) The Master Teacher.  He used all kinds of teaching methods.  In the last post we saw how He taught "how to" by first teaching "how not to."  This time He teaches the present subject by example and personal action.

Just what is relationship prayer?


Praying can include a variety of purposes such as praise, worship, confession, repentance, supplication, etc.  It may be aloud or silent; public or private; standing, kneeling and so forth.  Relationship praying may contain any or all of the above, but always it is born of the special relation between the one praying and the One to Whom prayed.  Since it is from a unique relation between the two, the One to Whom prayed is equally involved.

Allow me to give a personal illustration, albeit very earthy in comparison.


My wife, Sue, and I have been married now for (coming up on) thirty-five years.  There are many differences between us.  She is several years younger than I.  She was reared in a vastly different family background.  The list of dissimilarities is long.  These years have not all been smooth, but she has "put up with" me in spite of the rough times.

Sometimes we could sit on our front porch and talk for hours about nothing or about everything.  Often we don't even have to talk.  Many times we react the same or come to the same conclusions about circumstances that we haven't discussed.  All of this is because of the relationship we have developed during the last thirty-five years.

Many of you, in all likelihood, have such special relationships with your spouse, friend or parents.
Relationship praying stems from such a developed relationship.

In teaching His followers then, and us today, Jesus prayed to His Father out of such a special relationship.  After all, He was talking to His Father, with Whom Jesus had already spent an eternity past. (John 1:1).  In addition to being the Son of God, Jesus said, "...he that hath seen me hath seen the Father..." (John 14:9b KJV).  He said, even more specifically in John 10:30 (KJV), "I and my Father are one."  Obviously, then, when Jesus prayed, it was not just a recitation or ritual.  It was a communication of a special relationship between Two Who could not be closer.

The gospels are filled with references to the relationship of God, the Son, and God, the Father.  Some examples are Luke 1:26-38 (esp. v.32), Matthew 3:16-17, Matthew 11:25-27, Matthew 17:1-5 and John 17:1-5.  Chapter 17 of John's gospel will be dealt with separately in Part III--Special Prayers of Jesus.  I highly recommend that you take time to read the references above to refresh your memory of Jesus' relationship with His Father.

It was out of that relationship with His Father that Jesus prayed the prayers above.  Through
  • His prayers,
  • His instructions and actions surrounding those prayers, and
  • the inspiration of the Holy Spirit in giving us the legacy of His written Word--

He has taught about praying relationship prayers.

Two of these have had the greatest impact on me.

1.  The actions He took surrounding His Gethsemane prayer. (Matthew 26:36-46 and Luke 22:39-46)
2.  The last prayer He prayed before His death. (Luke 23:44-46 and John 19:28-30).

After the "Last Supper" and before His crucifixion, Jesus went out to the garden Of Gethsemane.  The disciples followed along.  Luke recorded that Jesus then instructed the disciples to "pray that you do not fall into temptation."  After those instructions "He withdrew about a stones throw beyond them...and prayed."

Matthew remembered that Jesus went with His disciples to Gethsemane.  He then instructed them to sit while He prayed.  Taking Peter, James and John, Jesus instructs these three to "keep watch with me."  At that point He went "a little farther...and prayed."

Earlier I referred to my relationship with my wife.  Because of that relationship, when important decisions have to be made for our family, I always want to discuss it with her first.  Even, in the case of "emergency" decisions, I make them based on the experience of our relationship.

I believe that's what Jesus was doing here.  He had a close relationship with these twelve men that had been developed over the previous three years.  But, the most important part of His mission on earth was being finalized.  He wanted to "discuss" it with the One with Whom He (Jesus) had the closest relationship--His Father.

So, He went "a little farther."  The discussion ran like this--"If it is possible, may this cup be taken from me.  Yet not as I will, but as you will." (Matthew 26:39 NIV)

What a relationship!
What a relationship prayer!!

On the cross Jesus agonized.  His pain was great.  But other people had been crucified before.  In fact, two thieves were being crucified at the same time as He.  Now, I'm not belittling the pain and suffering of Jesus during His being nailed to and hung on the cross.  However, I'm convinced that there was a greater pain.  That greater pain was the burden of the sins of the whole world!

Jesus was the sinless Son of God in human form. (Hebrews 4:15)  And, yet, as His mission on earth, given to Him by His Father, Jesus bore "our transgressions." (Isaiah 53:5)  Only He could be the perfect sacrifice that was called for.  Only One with a perfect relationship with God could provide that which would satisfy completely God's call for death as a price for sin.  But, also, only  He could be resurrected from that death because of His relationship to the Father.

This is why I believe that Jesus is "the way, the truth and the life." (John 14:6 KJV).

Jesus, having fulfilled all that the Scripture required of Him in His mission (John 19:28 KJV), He could say "Into thy hands I commend my Spirit" (Luke 23:46) and "It is finished." (John 19L30 KJV).  Praise the Lord. He finished His job!

Father, help me to develop the kind of relationship with You, that I can say with Paul, "I have fought a good fight.  I have finished my course.  I have kept the faith." (II Timothy 4:7 KJV).  When my life is over, whenever that may be, may I be able to say--through the righteousness of Jesus--it is finished.

Do you pray out of desperation?

Are your prayers "gimme" prayers?

Or, do you pray from a special relationship with God?


Take the time to share with others and comment below.




2 comments:

  1. Hi Uncle James, These blogs are great to have ! I appreciate you taking the time to share!!
    I'm going to go down a bunny trail here... I Also believe that when Jesus was on the cross he carried many more pains than just anyone being crucified .. for the 'sins of the world' like you said but also because at that time he felt that his Father had forsaken him.. (Matthew 27:46 and Mark 15:34) this, although is painful to think that he was on the cross and felt like he was abandoned by his Father, but it gives me hope.. there have been times I have felt that .. I have asked God where He was and if he saw what was going on... Then I think of Jesus in His most painful time of his life.. KNOWING God the way He did... Knew the Love like no other.. but felt he was forsaken... I know David also felt forsaken too in Psalms 22:1... but it gives me HOPE that no matter what I FEEL... He is always there!! He would never leave Jesus- His Son.. and David - a man after his own heart... So I can be confident that he would never leave me.. I'm no where near these two men but I'm an heir.. I've been adopted... Because of Jesus and what He did for me .. I know He's here .. even when I can't 'feel' Him surrounding me. Relationship is what counts!!!Relationship is everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, in response to your comment let me share this. Originally, I had planned to include the prayer of Jesus on the cross, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me. This is also one of His relationship prayers and the pain and grief Jesus must have felt when He felt forsaken was close to being unbearable. However, this, I believe, is part of the price He paid...God will not condone sin--nor can He look on sin when He had condemned it. So, I believe God actually turned His back on Jesus in that moment in time. Maybe I'm going down the bunny trail, too. But, if Jesus was going to bear the sins of the world, He also had to bear the punishment for sin--and there is no greater punishment than being separated from God. Kim, there are those who are becoming very popular today by preaching and teaching that hell is only what we make of it in this world. I had rather take my chances by letting Jesus forgive my sins and not be caught in that "bunny hole." Thank you ever so much for your input.

    ReplyDelete