Saturday, February 12, 2011

WHY PRAY, ANYWAY?

There is absolutely no reason why anyone, anywhere should consider me an example to follow in the area of prayer.  Having read many times over the years the great and effective prayers that are recorded in the Bible, I know I have never prayed prayers like that.  Having read and studied the lives of the pray-ers of those prayers, it is strikingly obvious to me that I have never been, nor do I ever expect to be known for having attained such levels of prayer life.  But, I am convinced that it is my Christian right, as well as obligation, to learn all I can about prayer and act upon it daily.  And, if it is something the Bible teaches, we should all practice it.

Not only does the Bible teach us to pray and give us marvelous examples of effective prayers, but, in particular, Jesus, Himself, gave us examples and taught His followers to pray.

There is a multitude of articles, even books by sincere Christians, about "Why Pray?", especially since God knows (decides?) in advance about everything.  The question posed is, "If God is in control, why bother to pray?"  Or, "If God is changeless, how can my prayers change His mind or actions?"

One author I read recently simply said, (and I paraphrase), "I pray because Jesus did."  A study of His prayer life ought to be both interesting and revealing to us.

Join in with me in the study and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment